Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Swimming
Walking track
Search

Old Legal Precinct

  • 20201231 dsc 3005
  • 20201231 dsc 3007
  • 20201231 dsc 3006
Corner of Cornish Street and Wallaby Track, Buninyong VIC 3357

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map

Features

  • Historic site
  • Information sign
  • Located alongside Botanic Garden
The site of Buninyong's former Court House, Mining Warden's office and the Buninyong Butter Factory is an interesting attraction alongside the gorgeous Buninyong Botanic Gardens

The Old Legal Precinct is located along Cornish Street, right beside the Lower Gardens of the Buninyong Botanic Gardens. It can be easily reached via the walking track (Wallaby Track) which travels through the garden, as well as directly from the road. There is plenty of parking space along the road directly in front of this site. 

Buninyong was briefly the administrative headquarters of the Ballarat goldfields, and a makeshift court house was built in 1851 followed by the construction of the court house at this site in 1858. A new court house was built in 1886, and this building was refitted to be used as part of the Buninyong Butter Factory from 1892 to 1908. It was later used as the depot for the Shire of Buninyong and has been in the care of the Buninyong and District Historical Society since 1995.

An information sign stands on the lawn before the building and displays the following text:

Old Legal Precinct

Following the discovery of gold in August 1851, Buninyong briefly became the administrative headquarters of the Ballarat goldfields. A Court of Petty Sessions was proclaimed on 30 September 1851 and a makeshift court house was built. 

In 1858 this court house and Mining Warden's office was built of local sandstone. The nearby brick police station was built at the same time. 

After a new Town Hall and Court House was built in 1886, this building was refitted as part of the Buninyong Butter Factory, which operated here from November 1892 until 1908. 

Subsequently this building became the depot for the Shire of Buninyong, and from 1995 has been cared for by the Buninyong and District Historical Society. 


 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment