Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Walking track
Search

Carisbrook Log Gaol

  • 20170331 133547
  • 20170331 133608
  • 20170331 133633
  • 20170331 133657
  • 20170331 133705
  • 20170331 133715
  • 20170331 133745
  • 20170331 133813
  • 20170331 133825
  • 20170331 133725
  • 20170331 133734
  • 20170526 145100
  • 20170526 145117
  • 20170526 145131
  • 20170526 145304
  • 20170526 145331
  • 20170526 145410
Bucknall Street, Carisbrook VIC 3464

Contact Carisbrook Historical Society:
Alex Stoneman (03) 5464 2400

Free entry, open 10 - 5 most days

Features

  • Historic building
  • Free entry
  • Educational
  • Walking track
  • Great spot for a picnic blanket
  • Creek

The following information is displayed on an information sign at the Carisbrook Log Gaol:

When William Swan Urquhart, district surveyor, came to survey Carisbrook in August 1851, he found there was a police camp of a lock up called "Camp Carisbrook". The log jail was gazetted in 1852 but there is no doubt it was built in 1851 for the occupation of the police contingent, which took up residence on July 1st 1851.

Christened "The Logs" by then Carisbrook resident Tilly Aston, this was the major gaol in the extensive Carisbrook Police District until 1858, and it remained Carisbrook's gaol for low key offenders until about 1900.

It was originally located in the police paddock, but was moved when the Carisbrook Primary School was opened on the Camp Street site in 1873. In the early 1900's it was again moved to its present Bucknall Street site.

Several notorious bushrangers were imprisoned at "The Logs": these included Morgan the Murderer, and reportedly Frank McCallum and Captain Melville. Suspected murderer John Sweeney had to be removed here for fear he would be hanged by the mob. It is likely that Joseph Brooks, who killed Constable Barnett at Havelock in 1858, and his three accomplices were also gaoled here initially.

At least three people have died in "The Logs". These were an infant girl surnamed Wilson in 1857, Thomas Vowles in 1860, and George White in 1881.

Conditions can only be imagined.

After serving as sluice boxes for horses, a wheat silo, and a fodder shed, "The Logs" was reinstated by the Carisbrook Historical society and Shire of Tullaroop as a reminder of the penal system of Victorian colonial times.

More information is on display inside the gaol. 

Walking track and picnic spot

Behind the log gaol is a 750m gravel walking track which runs beside Deep Creek and heads over to Bland Reserve. It is an easy walk and pram friendly.

Also directly behind the gaol is a clear area shaded by multiple trees, which would be a fantastic spot to lay a picnic blanket.



 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment

Follow us on Facebook