Browse by Tag
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Walking track

Maryborough Soldiers' Memorial Plot

  • 20170331 093739
  • 20170331 093754
  • 20170331 094057
  • 20170331 094045
  • 20170331 093811
  • 20170331 093926
  • 20170331 093959
  • 20170331 094010
  • 20170331 094015
  • A20170331 093954
  • B20170331 093948
  • C20170331 093939
  • D20170331 093934
  • E20170331 093914
  • F20170331 093906
  • G20170331 093856
  • H20170331 093845
  • I20170331 093837
  • J20170331 093824
  • K20170331 093820
  • L20170331 093806
Corner of Railway Street and Majorca Road, Maryborough VIC 3465

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map


  • Memorial signs and plaques
  • Shade
  • Nice grassy area
  • Picnic table
  • Rubbish bin
  • Hot food and drinks available nearby at Majorca Road General Store
In 1919 this small area of land was reserved as a memorial to the Maryborough and District soldiers who fought in World War 1. 

Once a substantial war memorial park, the plot was cleared of all structures and left as unkept parkland until it was restored as a Soldiers' Memorial Park by the Lions Club and rededicated in 2011.

Original Soldiers' Memorial Park

The plot was surrounded by a white fence with a gate way about midway between the railway line and the street. Above the gate was a large board with "Soldiers' Memorial Plot" painted on it. 

Trees were planted bearing the names of some of the lads who never came home. 

The small area was kept in order by Mr. James Blackburne esq, whose son, Carl, had been killed in France.

In 1939 Golden Poplar trees were planted in memory of Mr. Blackburne and Mr. John Watson, the plot's caretakers.

Anzac Day and Remembrance Day services were held here for many years. All services were then transferred to the current memorial site at McLandress Square in front of the Post Office.

Removal of the Soldiers' Memorial Park

The plot area was cleared of all remaining structures, the gateway, fencing, flagpole, and the solders' name signs on the trees. 

Also gone was the Krupp's made German 77 cm field cannon, No. 278, captured by the 46th Battalion in France. The cannon had guarded the plot for many years.

The area was unnamed and basically unkept parkland with nothing to depict its historical significance for future generations.

Restoration of the Soldiers' Memorial Park

In 2009, the Maryborough Lions Club resolved to restore the plot. With the help of many community minded people, the original gateway was reproduced, fencing restored and a flagpole erected. A seedling grown from the original Lone Pine in Gallipoli has been planted on the site. On remembrance Day, November 11th 2011, this Solders' Memorial Plot was re-dedicated to the men and women of our area who served in World War 1.



No comments

Leave a comment