Browse by Tag
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Walking track

Creswick Cemetery

  • 20180528 163121
  • 20180528 163139
  • 20180528 163202
  • 20180528 163213
  • 20180528 163251
  • 20180528 163344
  • 20180528 163354
  • 20180528 163417
  • 20180528 163426
Clunes Road, Creswick VIC 3363

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map


  • Historic cemetery
  • Educational
  • Self guided tour, booklet available for $5
  • Beautiful monuments commemorating the Chinese in Creswick
  • Picnic table
  • Open daily, 9am to 5pm
  • No dogs permitted
The Creswick Cemetery is thought to have been established as early as 1852, replacing the old cemetery which was small and crowded. The first registered burial here was in 1858.

Many significant pioneers of Creswick are buried in this cemetery, including Jane Ingram, Sir Alexander Peacock, William Black Miller, William "Baron" Bell, John O'Neill, Jeremiah Coffey and Peter Harrington. Detailed information about these pioneers is available on the Creswick Cemetery website

The Creswick Cemetery website is an excellent resource and also provides a history of the cemetery, a map of the grounds, burial lists for both the new and old cemetery burials, information about the Chinese in Creswick, and more.

An A5 booklet titled Australasian No 2 Mine Graves is available for $5.00 from the Creswick Museum. This booklet provides a self-guided tour, showing the burial locations of those who were killed in the 1882 Australasian No 2 mining disaster and others who were associated with the mine. The booklet also includes a transcript of the funeral from the Creswick Advertiser, 15/12/1882.

A picnic table is located beneath a large, shady tree at the centre of the cemetery. 

The Creswick Cemetery is open daily from 9am - 5pm. Dogs are not permitted within the cemetery. 


  • Many cemeteries in the goldfields were established in the early-mid 19th century. Walking through the historic cemeteries of the area is like taking a walk through time.


Leave a comment

Peter White
Also buried here is George Douglas, original manager of the mine and engineer. He died about six months before the disaster. Four hundred pounds was raised by public subscription for the substantial stone that marks his grave.
A family story (he was my great-grandfather) hast that, but for his untimely death, the disaster would not have happened and Creswick's history would have been quite different as would have been for our family.