Browse by Tag
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Walking track

Graveyard Hill

  • A20181203 123827
  • A20181203 123629
  • A20181203 123355
  • A20181203 123408
  • A20181203 123722
  • A20181203 123749
  • A20181203 123815
  • A20181203 123859
  • A20181203 123550
  • A20181203 123607
  • A20181203 123447
  • A20181203 123524
Unnamed Road, Dunolly VIC 3472 

In the bush behind the Dunolly Transfer Station, see map above for exact location.

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map


  • Historic cemetery
  • Bushland
  • Detailed information sign
The Burnt Creek Cemetery has been known by many names over the years, including Boot Hill Cemetery (1845-1855), Graveyard Hill Cemetery (1855-1863) and Burnt Creek Historic Cemetery (from 1863). 

The cemetery sits in the bush behind and to the right of the Dunolly Transfer Station. Zoom in on the map above for the cemetery's exact location.

A large sign at the Burnt Creek Cemetery provides many insights into the cemetery as well as the history of the area. 

The sign displays the following text regarding this cemetery (along with lots of other fascinating information):

Historic cemetery 1848 to 1862

This area was first named BURNT CREEK in 1848 by A. C. MacDougall in an area taken up in a pastoral lease. Gold was subsequently found at BURNT CREEK in 1854 by Isaac Hawkins. 

When the great gold rush started miners flocked to the area in search of their fortunes.

Due to the enormous influx of people and the inherent dangers of cave ins, disease, and deaths by other nefarious means, it was found that a cemetery was needed. 

Deaths of pioneers, miners and their families were not recorded in this area until the arrival of Mr. W. Templeton, Commissioner of Civil and Gold Law. 

He took up duties at Burnt Creek in 1855 and subsequently registered deaths until 1862 when Mr. Phillip Chauncey arrived as District Surveyor and planned and surveyed a new cemetery at DUNOLLY.

The BURNT CREEK GRAVE YARD HILL was then abandoned. 

History has found that the BURNT CREEK GRAVE YARD HILL was not surveyed as a cemetery until the 1880's, after a report by Councillor Hayes to a meeting of the SHIRE OF BET BET in 1882. 

He reported that the area was unfenced and unprotected and a disgrace to any civilised community. The recognised burial area was finally fenced in 1884. 

In 1885, the area known as BURNT CREEK was changed to BROMLEY VILLAGE. People from a large area surrounding Bromley Village are buried here. 

These areas included Dunolly, Cochrane's Creek, Jone's Creek, Loddon (now Eddington), Bet Bet, Middle Bridge, Dunolly Creek, Chinaman's Flat, Patchy Flat, Hard Hills, Gooseberry Hill and Wild Dog. 

There are now only three headstones left standing at mark the graves of Thomas Sinnott. M.D (Doctor) of Ireland who died on August 24 1856, aged 24 years; John Cameron from Scotland who died at the age of 68 years on August 25th, 1858 and the last marking the resting place of Eliza Hurse, who died on October 25, 1857 aged 49 years. Eliza's grave is still surrounded by the original wrought iron fence. 

There are 50 registered burials of children under the age of 5 years in this cemetery and approximately 103 registered graves in total within the fenced boundary. 

The current fence was erected in 1995 as a joint project between the DUNOLLY LAND CARE GROUP and the Government's L.E.A.P. program and was financed with funds from the CENTRAL GOLDFIELDS SHIRE.

A true Cemetery Boundary is impossible to be ascertained as burials were usually made by family or friends of the deceased. 

As there are no Land Site Records of Grave Yard Hill, Burnt Creek, graves are possibly located outside the present and original fenced Boundary area.


This plaque was funded and erected by the present residents of Bromley. 

Unveiled the 18th February, 1996 at 2pm by Mr Max Turner State Member for Bendigo West.

Rev Gareth Thomas, Uniting Church, Dunolly, For conducting the Pioneer Memorial Service.


  • Many cemeteries in the goldfields were established in the early-mid 19th century. Walking through the historic cemeteries of the area is like taking a walk through time.


No comments

Leave a comment