Browse by Tag
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Walking track

Bert Boardman Recreation Area

  • Dsc 8981
  • Dsc 9009
  • Dsc 9006
  • Dsc 8984
  • Dsc 9019
  • Dsc 9004
  • Dsc 9008
  • Dsc 9002
  • Dsc 9012
  • Dsc 8990
  • Dsc 8993
  • Dsc 9014
  • Dsc 9016
  • Dsc 9020
Corner of Steiglitz Road and S Steiglitz Road, Steiglitz VIC 3331

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map


  • Picnic area
  • Undercover area
  • Free electric barbecue
  • Picnic tables
  • Information sign
  • Fire pits
  • Toilets
  • Bushwalking
The Bert Boardman Recreation Area is a fantastic place to stop in for a picnic lunch while you spend the day exploring the many fascinating walks, buildings and historic sites of Steiglitz, a gorgeous old gold mining town nestled alongside the Brisbane Ranges National Park.     

Picnics at the Bert Boardman Recreation Area

This reserve consists mostly of bushland with an excellent picnic area at the entrance. An undercover area provides shelter for several picnic tables, with a free electric barbecue and water tap located close by. 

Many more tables and fire pits are spread throughout the huge grassy clearing. This is a great spot to bring a picnic blanket. 

Kids might like to have a go climbing some of the trees alongside the parking area.

Toilets are located outside the picnic area, just beyond the car park. 

Information about the Steiglitz Historic Park

An information sign at the Bert Boardman Recreation Area displays the following text: 


Steiglitz is almost a ghost town today. But at the height of the 1860s gold rush, it had over 1500 residents, four hotels, a newspaper, a variety of shops and even an undertaker. 



Visit the courthouse, opened during 1875, to see a display of photographs, map and relics of the golden years. It is open most Sunday afternoons.

Although most of the buildings have gone and the mines have been filled, there are still many traces of the golden years in and around the town. Look for mine tailing heaps and relics.

Gold Panning

Gold panning is permitted only in the section one kilometre downstream from the Meredith road on Sutherlands Creek. Prospectors with a Miner's Right are permitted to use pans, cradles and hand tools within the creek bed only.


There are many pleasant picnic spots. Toilets and water are available at the Bert Boardman Reserve. 


Much of the park can be explored on foot. Signs around the old township describe where shops and other buildings once stood. 

Please remember that some of the buildings around Steiglitz are now private homes - please respect their privacy.


Steiglitz circuit walk - 8.5km, moderate

This walk is accessible from many locations

1. The Pines to Steiglitz Courthouse - Start at the Pines carparks on Durdiwarrah Road between Alliance and Fridays Tracks. Head south past large mullock heaps, remnants of the New Chum Mine. Enjoy views over Steiglitz Historic Park and Brisbane Ranges National Park. Continue south along Alliance and Hay Tracks, crossing Sutherlands Creek, into the township of Steiglitz.

2. Steiglitz to The Crossing Picnic Area - from the Courthouse, enter Stawell Street and follow Deadmans Loop Walking Track through to Hut Road then continue to The Crossing Picnic Area.

3. The Crossing Picnic Area to The Pines - This section of track runs parallel to Yankee Gully Creek before heading up a shallow gully to Mulrooney's Track and The Pines carpark. Look for remnants of the gold mining era. 

Deadman's Loop Track - 4.7km return, moderate

Starting at the Courthouse, this walk follows Sutherlands Creek through small valleys with Grass trees and several changes in vegetation, and finishes at Meredith-Steiglitz Road. See historic remnants including a large historic pine tree, a round, stone-lined well and some scattered bricks indicating a house site. Within the creek bank area, you will see the entrance to the historic Morning Star mine.

Beard's Gully Walk - 6km to Sailors Track, difficult

Starting at the top of Sailors Track, South Steiglitz Road, head downhill to Sutherlands Creek. The walk follows the creek bed so be prepared for a few hours of rock hopping. A car shuttle is recommended (leave car at Sailors Track). A circuit is possible returning via South Steiglitz Road.


There are two designated camping grounds in the park - siz sites at Boar Gully Camp Ground northern end of park and eight sites at Fridays Camping and Picnic Area near Steiglitz. Both have pit toilets and tank water, plus one designated camp trailer or caravan site at each camp ground. 

Bookings are essential and fees apply for all campsites including the Bushwalkers Only sites along the Burchell Trail. Book online at or call 13 1963.

Phytophthora cinnamomi

Phytophthora cinnamomi (PC) is an introduced plant killing water mould that lives in wet soil and attacks and destroys plant root systems causing plants to die through lack of water and nutrients. Patches of dead or dying vegetation can indicate the presence of this silent killer. 

The disease is spread through infected plants and the movement of contaminated soil and gravel. There is no known practical cure for the disease, but its spread can be limited by preventing the movement of infected soil. All management tracks have been closed to vehicle, bicycle and horse access to prevent the spread of this serious threat. Several tracks have been quarantined to restrict all access. 

Please use boot cleaning stations strategically placed along walking tracks within the park.

Prior to entering and leaving the park, use a sturdy brush to remove all soil from footwear and camping gear, then spray with a 70% methylated spirits/water solution or with bleach.


On days of forecast Code Red Fire Danger this park will be closed for public safety.

If you are already in the park you should leave the night before or early in the morning for your own safety.

Closure signs will be erected and rangers will patrol where possible, however you may not receive a personal warning that the park is closed so check by calling 13 1963 or visit

For up to date information on fires in Victoria or general fire safety advice call the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667.

  • All plants, animals, archaeological sites and geological features are protected. 
  • Please take all rubbish with you for recycling and disposal.
  • Cats and firearms are not permitted in the park.
  • Dogs are permitted within the park, but must be kept on a lead at all times. 
  • All plants and animals are protected.
  • Light fires only in fireplaces provided. No fires are permitted on a day of Total Fire Ban. Built in and portable gas or electric barbecues may be used provided: a 3 metre area is cleared of anything flammable. At least 10 litres of water is available for immediate use. An adult is in attendance at all times. Fires must be completely extinguished before leaving. 
  • Bicycles are only permitted on the main access road.

Steiglitz Courthouse

The first courthouse, a rickety timber building, was constructed at the rear of the present courthouse in 1858. The present building opened in June 1875.

By the time the new courthouse opened, the town's fortunes had waned and courthouse sittings were discontinued by January 1879. It re opened between 1895 and 1899 when Steiglitz enjoyed a revival of mining and business fortunes. 

From the courthouse veranda, you can look across the vacant lots and Sutherlands Creek to Gibraltar mine. 

St Paul's Church of England

This is a timber building located along Regent Street. Established in 1872, it was used as a church until 1962. The building deteriorated until 1988 when the external structure was restored to near-original condition. The internal structure was restored in 1994 with the help of volunteers.

The building can be hired for permitted functions such as weddings and community events. To apply for a permit, call Parks Victoria on 13 1963.

St Thomas Roman Catholic Church

This timber building, built in 1878, is located on the outskirts of the town along the Meredith road. In 1960, the building was moved to Norlane, Geelong and in 1983, relocated back to Steiglitz close to its original site. The building is now used by a local community group that collects and conserve documents, photographs, artefacts and family histories. 

Sugg's Cottage

This weatherboard cottage is the only one of its kind in the area. It is a four-roomed cottage with a corrugated roof and veranda and was possibly constructed in the 1890s. It was occupied by blacksmiths, the final one being Mr Sugg in 1944. With the help of the local volunteer group, the building is currently being restored to its former appearance. 

Privately owned buildings

Scott's Hotel is a weatherboard building constructed in the 1890s on the site of an earlier hotel. It closed in 1918. The bar is still in its original form and many of the original fittings retained. It is now a private residence.

Minogue's Store - This two-storey brick building was constructed around 1865. The building has been restored to near original condition by its present owner and is now a private residence.

Red Brick Cottage - This small brick cottage was built around 1870 and is now a private residence. The bricks match those used to build the courthouse. 

The Post Office and Drapery - This weatherboard building was built in 1865 and used as a post office until 1966. The verandah and front wall have been remodelled. It is now a private residence. 

The Steiglitz Cemeteries - The old Steiglitz cemetery lies adjacent to St Thomas Church. This cemetery closed in 1861 and only one headstone remains. The cemetery is of historical significance and the graves of miners and local residents can be identified. The new cemetery opened in 1861 and is still used. It is maintained by the Steiglitz Cemetery Trust.


Mine tailings and mullock heaps are scattered about the park indicating mine sites. By 1897, the only two mines producing gold were the United Albion along Durdiwarrah Road and New Mariner south of Steiglitz. By 1907 only the New Mariner was still in operation.

Other relics such as brick water cisterns, stone gutters and drains are scattered within the township. Piles of rubble, sedimentary stone, bricks and chimney foundations can also be seen in the surrounding area. All relics are protected and must not be removed. 

Get involved

The Back to Steiglitz Association meets regularly and aims to help restore and maintain historic buildings and surrounds at Steiglitz. For more information contact the group through

The Steiglitz Historical Society meets regularly to help preserve, research and display the history of the township and surrounding gold mining areas. If you are interested in the history of Steiglitz or have an interesting story to tell, please contact the group

Spending time with friends in the park can be good for your mind, body and soul!

With the invaluable assistance of the Friends of the Brisbane Ranges volunteers we are able to maintain the health and integrity of these very special parks. You can join the Friends of Brisbane Ranges in caring for this special place and become a volunteer today. 

For more information visit or contact Parks Victoria on 13 1963. 



  • Bushwalking is an excellent way to get outdoors and exploring nature.
  • There are hundreds of fantastic barbecue areas throughout the Victorian Goldfields. Some are in parks/playgrounds, others are scattered throughout the bush. Many barbecue areas are located alongside amazing attractions and walks, so go out for a barbecue and get exploring!


No comments

Leave a comment