Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Swimming
Walking track
Search

Blackwood Mineral Springs Reserve

  • Dsc 9791
  • Dsc 9795
  • Dsc 9805
  • Dsc 9801
  • Dsc 9799
  • Dsc 9792
  • Dsc 9824
  • Dsc 9823
  • Dsc 9814
  • Dsc 9807
  • Dsc 9774
  • Dsc 9776
  • Dsc 9778
  • Dsc 9828
  • Dsc 9782
  • Dsc 9783
  • Dsc 9787
  • Dsc 9788
  • Dsc 9816
  • Dsc 9818
  • Dsc 9820
  • Dsc 9822
  • Dsc 9804
  • Dsc 9797
Caravan Park Road, Blackwood VIC 3458

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map

Features

  • Beautiful reserve
  • Mineral spring taps
  • Multiple undercover picnic areas
  • Barbecues
  • Picnic tables
  • Playground
  • Walking tracks
  • Beautiful creek for children to paddle in
  • Lots of kookaburras
  • Rubbish bins
  • Toilets
  • Information signs
  • Dogs allowed on lead
  • Small entry fee
Blackwood Mineral Springs Reserve is a gorgeous park, picnic and play area which runs alongside the beautiful Lerderderg River. Sample some mineral water, take a walk across the foot bridge to enjoy views down the creek, or head off on one of the longer walking tracks. Be sure to keep an eye out for the resident Kookaburras!      

A small entrance fee is payable in a coin donation box at the entrance to the reserve, which goes towards maintenance of the excellent visitor facilities available at this park. 

You can enjoy scenic walks from the Blackwood Mineral Springs Reserve into the Lerderderg State Park, including:
  • Lake and lookout via Hard Hills, 1.6 km
  • Lookout and lake via moonlight gully, 2 km
Multiple large undercover areas provide plenty of space for picnics and barbecues, and a children's playground sits at the far end of the park.

Toilets and rubbish bins are available for visitor use. 

A few of the information signs at the Blackwood Mineral Springs Reserve display the following text:

Mineral Springs

These waters have travelled deep underground for several kilometres. The mineral springs were described in 1887 by the Government Analyst as the equal of "Appolinaris", an expensive (2s6d a bottle) French import. With a significant reduction in chloride and sulphate concentrations over the last century, they have even improved with age. 

Tipperary Flat Diggings

In the spring of 1855 some 13,000 people were camped on mining fields such as Ballan Flat, Red Hill, Nuggety Gully, Yankee Reef, Long Gully, Breakneck and Kangaroo. The area downstream from here was called Tipperary Flats, probably after the Irishmen working the area. The whole of the river bed, a very rich source of alluvial gold, was riddled with mining where the tub and cradle method was used to extract gold. The sluicing method was favoured up on the flats. Eventually all alluvial mining was abandoned because of regular flooding. Old-timers say that "much gold was left behind". Keep a look out!


 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment

Follow us on Facebook