Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Swimming
Walking track
Search

Buangor Avenue of Honour

  • 20210622 dsc 5225 2
  • 20210622 dsc 5226
  • 20210622 dsc 5227 2
Main Street, Buangor VIC 3375

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map

Features

  • Avenue of Honour
  • information sign
Buangor's Avenue of Honour was planted along Main Street in 1918, consisting today of about thirty English elms, golden elms, and silver poplars, to commemorate the sacrifice and service of local volunteers during World War One. 

An information sign stands alongside Main Road, right by the entrance to the Des Brennan Park and Buangor's beautiful historical Cobb & Co Building. The sign displays the following text:

Buangor

Like other war memorials across the Australian landscape, Avenues of Honour were planted to commemorate the sacrifice and service made by local volunteers during World War One. By 1918, the high casualty rate in Australia from World War One of 64.93%, the highest of all allied forces, meant that every Australian was related to or was closely associated with someone who had been killed. The planting of memorial trees by town residents acted as a personal focus of remembrance for a grieving community From 1917 to 1921, Victorians planted at least 128 avenues, with trees mostly of European origin. Although avenues exist in other states of Australia, they were most popular in Victoria.

An Avenue of Honour, consisting of 50 trees, was planted in Buangor in 1918. On 18 May 1918 the Riponshire Advocate reported that:

The avenue of honour to be planted in Buangor in recognition on the brave lads who enlisted from the district was commenced on Saturday, 4th inst., when Cr. W. G. Pickford (president of the movement) mustered a number of local residents and made a practical start by preparing the ground for the English elms and silver poplar trees that are to be planted. The avenue is to be planted along the main Ballarat road, commencing at a point east of Hanlon's Railway hotel, then extending west towards Ararat. About fifty trees are to be planted, each soldier leaving the district to have a tree planted in his honor. 

By July 1918, it was reported that:

This little community has sent no less than forty-five boys to fight for civilisation and justice, and in years to come an imposing avenue will keep their memory alive. The necessary holes have been sunk for fifty trees and very substantial tree guards, four feet square, have been made with six by four sawn posts, three by two rails, and forty pickets to each guard. Elms and silver poplars are to be planted, and this work is to be completed at once.

Approximately thirty English elms, golden elms and silver poplars are evidence of the Avenue of Honour today. 

Ref Heritage Citation Report - Hermes No. 194270 18th March 2016


 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment