Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Swimming
Walking track
Search

Lock Up and Police Station

  • 20211216 dsc 7402
  • 20211216 dsc 7409
  • 20211216 dsc 7411
  • 20211216 dsc 7403
  • 20211216 dsc 7407
  • 265583356 7401805186512167 7055753481601898405 n
16 Jennings Street, Kyneton VIC 3444

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map

Features

  • Bluestone lock up
  • Brick police building
  • War memorial
  • Informative plaque
Kyneton's beautiful 1860s bluestone lock up and 1880s brick police station remain at the site of the town's modern new police station, and can be viewed from the roadside. Accompanied by an informative plaque and a striking war memorial, this is an interesting place to stop by while exploring the gorgeous heritage buildings, historical sites, and striking streetscape of Kyneton. 

A beautifully presented plaque is set in a stone monument outside the police station. It displays images of the police buildings along with the following text: 

Kyneton Police Station

It is thought that is site has been in continuous police use since 1860. 

The original police barracks and outbuildings were removed to enable a new police station in Jennings Street to be constructed. This two-story red brick building is only one of two known surviving contemporary police station and barracks buildings (from an original group of six) that were designed by the Public Works Department of Victoria in the Romanesque Revival style. It was constructed in 1882 by R. Grant for a cost of £2,917.

As indicated in below photo, Victoria Police horse stables were located to the east of the Heritage building. 

The Lock-Up as built in 1861 and is constructed of bluestone with a slate roof to the same Victorian Free Classical style as the Court House. As an adjunct to the Court House, it was designed by the Public Works Department run at the time by William Wardell, Inspector-General and Chief Architect. The Lock-Up was constructed by McKay for £568. The Lock-Up was operational up until it was decommissioned in 2009. Few alterations were made to the three cell structure over this time, with heating only being introduced in 1998.

A new police station was designed in 1957 by the Public Works Department. The Chief Architect at the time was Firth. The single storey cream brick veneer building with a red tile roof was typical of the 1950's Austerity style, refer to the photo below (photo displayed on plaque, see image gallery on this page). This building was located to the east of the 1882 heritage building. 

The 1950's building was removed as part of the redevelopment of the site to allow for a new and larger police station to be constructed The new zinc clad and brick building was completed in 2011 and was designed by architects HBO + EMTB and constructed by the APM Group for a cost of $7.4M


 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment