Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Swimming
Walking track
Search

Goldfields Reservoir

  • 20170329 102240
  • 20170329 102500
  • 20170329 102336
  • 20170329 102405
  • 20170329 102544
  • 20170329 102306
  • 20170329 102435
  • 20170329 102637 Beginning of the walk around the reservoir, heading off to the right of the car park
  • 20170329 102647
  • 20170329 102900
  • 20170329 102913
  • 20170329 103016
  • 20170329 103035
  • 20170329 103052
  • 20170331 094844
  • 20170331 094852
  • 20170331 094912
  • 20170331 094924
  • 20170331 095005
  • 20170331 095008
  • 20170331 095018
Maryborough-Ballarat Road, Maryborough VIC 3465

Features

  • Toilets
  • Shade
  • Picnic tables
  • BBQs (wood fire and electric)
  • Rubbish bins
  • Walking track - pram friendly
  • Fishing
  • Swimming
  • Boating
  • Caravan waste disposal facilities
Goldfields Reservoir was built in 1862 and was Maryborough's former water supply. It is now used for recreation, boating, swimming and fishing.

There are three picnic areas, one by the main car park (with a wood fire BBQ), another part way around the walking track to the left (wood fire BBQ), and one more part way around the walking track to the right (electric BBQ, 20c coin operated). There are picnic tables in all three picnic areas. Rubbish bins are available in the main picnic area and the one to the right of the lake.

The electric BBQ picnic area is also accessible via Maryborough-Ballarat Road.

The walking track circles the entire reservoir, and is about a 1.7 km easy, pram friendly, scenic walk. The track features multiple bridges, interesting hand made wooden barriers, wetland areas and water views.

Toilets are beside the main car park, as well as a caravan Dump Ezy facility.

The following information is displayed on an information sign at Goldfields Reservoir:

Gold towns faced droughts in summer and contaminated water in winter.

Alluvial miners used water for sluicing and the big mining companies constantly pumped water from shafts. The Goldfields reservoir was built in 1862, but failed to bring a steady water supply to Maryborough. The Evansford reservoir brought a secondary source from 1882-3. The Centenary Dam was added in 1957 and connected to Tullaroop in 1960.

Two men, from opposing political backgrounds, led the drive fora reliable water source. Clive Stoneham, born in Maryborough in 1909, went from running the railway union to leading the Victorian Labor Party. He joined forces with Keith Turnbull, prominent in the Country Party, to create the Centenary Dam. Stoneham also secured a sewerage system for the town and Turnbull, as Minister for Conservation, drove reforesting of mining wastes and protection for river catchments.

Maryborough almost ran out of water again in the 21st century's drought. The Moolort Aquifer, rather than new dams, appears the most likely answer to the town's long search for a dependable water source.



DID YOU KNOW...

  • Bushwalking is an excellent way to get outdoors and exploring nature.
  • There are hundreds of fantastic barbecue areas throughout the Victorian Goldfields. Some are in parks/playgrounds, others are scattered throughout the bush. Many barbecue areas are located alongside amazing attractions and walks, so go out for a barbecue and get exploring!
  • There are heaps of fantastic swimming spots throughout the Victorian Goldfields, including the Loddon River, Cairn Curran Reservoir, Laanecoorie, Turpins Falls, and many more!
 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment

Follow us on Facebook