Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Walking track
Search

Pioneer Park Monument

  • 20180318 163217
  • 20180318 163226
  • 20180318 163239
  • 20180318 163307
81A Bailey Street, Clunes VIC 3370

Features

  • Monument
  • Information sign
  • Lookout point
  • Alongside Clunes Skate Park
This monument and information sign stands just behind the Clunes Skate Park on Bailey Street, with a view over the town.

The monument is constructed of quartz stones, similar to the Welcome Stranger Anvil Monument in Dunolly. Sadly, the plaque is missing off the monument.

An information sign stands alongside the monument, which has graffiti sprayed across it. The writing is still clear enough to make out, and a historical photograph shows a 19th century view of Lower Fraser Street.

A covered picnic table lies between the monument and the skate park, and bench seating and rubbish bins are located up alongside the road.

The information sign displays the following text:

The lower end of Fraser Street was the main business area of Clunes from the establishment of the Town in 1857, until the late 1880's. As the more substantial buildings were erected higher up the street, so the business centre moved too. In 1872, there were 64 businesses, including 12 hotels, between Templeton Street, and Camp Hill. At that time, there were 23 hotels in the length of Fraser Street.

Lower Fraser Street can now be considered the 'Ghost" part of Clunes. Only two of the original buildings remain: the old shop on the corner built in the 1850's, and the old hotel, the former Duke of Edinburgh, built in 1869.

In the background the Port Phillip Mine, owned by the Port Phillip and Colonial Mining Company, the first large company formed to mine the massive quartz reefs.



DID YOU KNOW...

  • There are many great places throughout the Goldfields that offer gorgeous, panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment

Follow us on Facebook