Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Walking track
Search

Long Point Bushland Reserve

  • 20180324 140307
  • 20180324 140350
  • 20180324 141107
  • 20180324 140338
  • 20180324 140526
  • 20180324 140541
  • 20180324 140644
  • 20180324 140755
  • 20180324 140811
  • 20180324 140835
  • 20180324 140855
  • 20180324 140906
Corner of Gillies Road and Ascot-Creswick Road, Creswick VIC 3363

Features

The Long Point Bushland Reserve is a significant site due to its remarkable mix of remnant vegetation which has endured and regenerated itself after the extensive land disturbances of 19th century mining. 

A wander around the reserve takes you through gullies and gold diggings, an old mine site, extensive scatterings of quartz rock, and lots of beautiful old trees - there are a remarkable number of different tree species throughout this wild patch of bushland. A gravel parking area sits alongside Gillies Road, where you will find an attractive information sign and a narrow walking track heading off into the reserve.

Gold was discovered at Clunes in 1851, and by 1854 there were hundreds of mines on the Bald Hills diggings. About 7,000 Chinese miners worked this area. By 1890 the gold here had run out, and after the miners left clay was taken from the site for brick making and gravel was carted by the Shire for road making. Most of the mine shafts have been filled in (though some remain), and the site became a popular spot for illegal rubbish dumping.

The Bald Hills Landcare Group has done a fantastic job cleaning, fencing and weeding the site, and the area has been declared a permanent reserve. 

An information sign at the Long Point Bushland Reserve displays the following text:

LONG POINT FLORA RESERVE - A significant remnant vegetation and early mining site.

Early mining history of the area around this site

Grahams Hill
About 1870-80

The first settlers arrived in this area in 1837-8 and took up large pastoral runs. John Graham was one of the first to buy land here after the pastoral runs were cut up. The area soon became known as "Grahams Hill".

In 1851, Gold was discovered at Clunes. By 1854 there were hundreds of mines on the "Bald Hills" diggings. Bells Flat was one of the richest gold fields at the time. 

About 7,000 Chinese miners worked this area. To get water to the site, they surveyed and dug a water race some 1-2 km long from the creek near Bald Hills. Remnants of the channel can still be seen on either side of the Old Ascot Rd. Gravel was carried in baskets up the hill from the flats, washed by water from the race and the sludge allowed to run down the hill over the clay. 

In 1868 Grahams Hill High School No. 925 was built, opening with 46 students. This grew to 86 in 1877. By 1880 Grahams Hill was a thriving community with shops, butchers, bakers & hotels. However, by 1890, the gold had run out and all the facilities had closed.

Recent site history

By 1890 the gold had run out and all the facilities at Grahams Hill had closed. After the last miners left, clay was taken from the east side for brick making by Selkirks and gravel was also carted by the Shire for road making and the site became prone to illegal rubbish dumping and abuse.

Most of the old mine shafts have been filled in but some holes still remain scattered throughout this reserve to remind us of its history. 

This area has been known as Long Point in more recent years - almost certainly from the name given to a bend in the creek back in the gold mining days.

This site was given its present name in August 1995. 

Flora

The remnant vegetation on this 3 ha site is highly significant. The mix of tree species is unique to the Ballarat Region - Candlebark (Eucalyptus rubida), Black She-oak (Allocasuarina littoralis), Silver Banksia (Banksia marginata), Yellow Box (Eucalyptus melliodora), Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon), Hedge Wattle (Acacia parodoxa) and Small Grass Tree (Xanthorrhoea minor).

Considering the history of the site, the natural self-generation of Silver Banksia is quite amazing, particularly as they are severely depleted over much of their former range. Early explorers noted that these formed a significant component of the vegetation of the region at that time. The Black She-oaks are at their most north-western limit in western Victoria.

The Botany Department of Latrobe University and the University of Ballarat acknowledge the site as having regional importance and warranting protection of the species present.

The Landcare group and DNRE

The Bald Hills Landcare Group is committed to see that this site is preserved and enhanced for future generations. Rubbish has been cleared from the site, intrusive weeds such as gorse (furze) removed and the site declared a permanent reserve.

Fencing and signage was erected with Group labour using grant monies received from the Department of Natural Resources and Environment. Site management is controlled by the Ranger of the Department of Natural Resources and Environment.



DID YOU KNOW...

  • Bushwalking is an excellent way to get outdoors and exploring nature.
  • Evidence of the mid-late 1800's gold rush can be found throughout the Victorian goldfields in the form of abandoned mine shafts and tunnels, mullock heaps, buildings and ruins, circular puddling troughs, remains of cyanide vats, and quartz kilns.
  • Gold prospecting is the recreational act of searching for natural gold deposits in the ground using tools such as gold detectors, gold pans and gold sluices. The Goldfields region of Victoria is a popular destination for gold prospectors, with many of the world's largest alluvial gold nuggets found in the area!
 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment

Follow us on Facebook