Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Swimming
Walking track
Search

Clunes War Memorial

  • 20180318 151513
  • 20180318 151527
  • 20180318 151543
  • 20180318 151556
Corner of Fraser Street and Clunes-Campbelltown Road, Clunes VIC 3370

Features

  • War memorial
  • Information sign
The Clunes War Memorial is an impressive monument dedicated to those who have gone to war from Clunes and district.

The memorial is located at the intersection of Fraser Street and the Clunes-Campbelltown Road, close to the Clunes School of Mines, a beautiful Creek Walk, and the historic Queens Park.

An information sign at the war memorial displays the following text:

Clunes War Memorial

On Saturday, 19th November 1921, the monument was unveiled by Senator Elliott, the famous World War 1 soldier Brigadier 'Pompey' Elliott, at a solemn ceremony to commemorate those who had gone to the War from Clunes and District and to remember those who had enlisted from all parts of the Commonwealth.

The Lollypop Tree

Mt Beckworth's lollipop tree stands as a sentinal over the surrounding plains, a memorial to times past. The Mount's lollipop tree is on Victoria's Register of Significant Trees.

1918

A group of students from Glendaruel Primary School plant a stand of five Monterey pine trees on the summit of Mt Beckworth.

1920

In 1920 Messrs. Corben and Scott, of Clifton Hill submitted the successful tender to the Clunes Borough Council, for a cost of £450. The design was for an Australian soldier standing at ease, to be sculpted in marble. The soldier stands on a granite obelisk above a bluestone base.

The money to pay for the monument was raised by subscriptions from individuals, businesses and organisations in the town and district.

1945

All but one tree on Mt Beckworth were cleared for the establishment of an aerial survey beacon, leaving the present local landmark known as the 'lollipop' tree - trimmed of its lower branches.

During World War 2 the lollipop tree was used as a beacon for trainees from the R.A.A.F No. 1 Wireless Air Gunners School (WAGS) based at the Ballarat Airport.

2007
Major restoration work

Work was carried out with a major grant from the Restoring Community War Memorials Grants Program 2006-2007, and with support from Hepburn Shire Council and contribution from RSL.

A plea to protect

During the unveiling ceremony the Mayor, Cr. Rowe, impressed upon all present

"The necessity of protecting and preserving the monument in every possible way, and not allow(ing) anyone to interfere with it".

Continuing Care

The Clunes R&SL Sub-Branch continues to look after the monument with help from the Hepburn Shire Council and Government Grants.

Remembering the fallen

The memorial is the focal point for services held each year to commemorate ANZAC Day, Remembrance Day and other significant anniversaries.

The first Dawn Service to be held in Clunes took place on ANZAC Day 2015, to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli.

World War 1 names on the monument record only some of the fatalities from that war. A complete list is held on honour boards and in records at the Clunes R&SL club rooms and information can also be obtained from the Clunes Museum.

Fence dedication

Anzac Day, 1923 saw the dedication of the fence around the memorial by sir Alexander Peacock.



 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment

Follow us on Facebook