Browse by Tag
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Walking track

Duke of Cornwall Engine House

  • 20180329 135156
  • 20180329 135225
  • 20180329 135038
  • 20180329 135051
Vaughan-Chewton Road, Fryerstown VIC 3451

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map


The ruins of the impressive Duke of Cornwall Engine House can be found along the Vaughan-Chewton Road in Fryerstown, Victoria. The ruins are a rare surviving treasure of 19th century mining. A good view of the building can be obtained from the roadside - the engine house itself is enclosed by a tall wire fence and no trespassing is allowed.

The Victorian Heritage Database provides the following information regarding the Duke of Cornwall Engine House:

Statement of Significance Last updated on - November 30, 2005 

Ruins of Duke of Cornwall Mine are the ruins of presumably an engine house, erected circa 1865 for the Anglo Australian Goldmining Co. 

The tall, stone structure is almost square in plan and is constructed in coursed rubble with brick dressings to the various round-headed openings. There is a tall chimney, largely of stone but with a brick top section and a gable is another feature. 

Ruins of the Duke of Cornwall Mine are a landmark in the district and are a most important reminder and exposition of the gold mining era which to this day has left its mark on this area. Such substantial relics of the mining era are rare and this structure is an important representation of the technological side of gold mining operations during this era. 

The building itself is a replica of English structures of the period and is very rare example of this rare building type. 

Ruins of Duke of Cornwall Mine are substantial and the form of the structure can easily be seen.

Source: Victorian Heritage Database

How to get to the Duke of Cornwall Engine House

The Duke of Cornwall Engine House is located alongside the Vaughan-Chewton Road, 12 minutes from Castlemaine and 6 minutes from Chewton. 

From Chewton's Main Road, turn onto Fryers Road and continue following it after it becomes the Vaughan-Chewton Road. 

You will pass Herons Reef on the left, keep going and you will soon come to the Duke of Cornwall Engine Houses which stands to the right of the road. A sign stands on the left and points over the road to the engine house. 


Map of the Castlemaine Mining District which shows historical features in superb detail, including mining divisions, reefs, gullies, and gold workings. Mining Department, Melbourne, 1860. High quality, durable A1 print in a satin finish. Large, 594 x 891 mm. Go to online shop.

See also

The following historic mines may also be of interest:


  • Evidence of the mid-late 1800's gold rush can be found throughout the Victorian goldfields in the form of abandoned mine shafts and tunnels, mullock heaps, buildings and ruins, circular puddling troughs, remains of cyanide vats, and quartz kilns.


No comments

Leave a comment