Browse by Tag
BBQ
Educational
Free camping
Gold history
Gold prospecting
Swimming
Walking track
Search

Buninyong Old Burial Ground

  • Dsc 4481 2
  • Dsc 4477
  • Dsc 4473
  • Dsc 4480
  • Dsc 4472
Midland Highway, Buninyong VIC 3357

Explore other locations around this area using our interactive map

Features

  • Historical burial ground
  • Information sign
  • Bench seat
  • Memorial plaques
The site of Buninyong's old burial ground is marked by a beautiful sign, white picket fence, and several memorial monuments. Although no tombstones survive, up to 120 people were buried here from the 1840s to 1856, including some of the area's earliest settlers. 

The new cemetery in Buninyong was surveyed in 1849 and the first burial there was in 1850, but this burial ground remained in use right up until 1856.

This site sits between the Midland Highway and Union Jack Creek in Buninyong, and can be reached via a side street off Midland Highway between Winter Street and Cathcart Street.

The following text is displayed on a large information sign at the Buninyong Old Burial Ground:

Buninyong Old Burial Ground

1840s - 1856

This small area was the original cemetery for residents of Buninyong in the 1840s. Unfortunately there are no names or tombstones that survive, but we do know the names of some of those who were buried here before the new Buninyong cemetery began being used from 1850:
  • The first death recorded in the area was Terence McManus, a shepherd working for the Learmonths who was speared by an Aboriginal in April 1838.
  • In November 1846 Edward Martin, a servant of John Veitch, was murdered at the Buninyong Inn.
  • Euphemia Innes, wife of George Innes, died in childbirth on 1 January 1847.
  • On 1 February 1848 Corporal William Harvey of the Buninyong mounted police was mortally wounded. 
The new cemetery was first surveyed in 1849 and, according to Thomas Hiscock, the first burial at the new cemetery was Eli Thomas on 20 August 1850.

Burials continued to be made here until 1856. There were up to 120 people buried in this ground. It is impossible to know exactly who was buried here, as no headstones survive, and Civil Registration of Deaths in Victoria did not begin until 1853.

The Bunya Bunya tree, with plaque, was planted by the Buninyong Country Women's Association on 17 April 1988, to mark the area where an earlier old Eucalyptus tree had stood. 

Details about early burials can be obtained from the Old Library in Warrenheip St.

A Bunya Bunya tree has been planted on the site, with a plaque displaying the following text:

Australian Bicentennial Project.

To commemorate the restoration of the old Buninyong Burial Ground by the planting of a Bunya-Bunya tree.

By descendants of early settlers buried here.

17. 4. 1988

A plaque affixed to the white picket fence displays the following text:

Peter John & Margaret Olive McPherson

As leaves of memory fall,
Seasons pass upon quiet thought that delights the soul.

Evermore cherished inside the remembrance of you in our hearts.

SUSAN

Peter & Anne
Heather
David
Lea & Elizabeth

SEE ALSO


DID YOU KNOW...

  • Many cemeteries in the goldfields were established in the early-mid 19th century. Walking through the historic cemeteries of the area is like taking a walk through time.
 

Comments

No comments

Leave a comment